The munkey chews household absolutely looooooves this pie. It's super yummy & satisfying in all the right ways! The great thing about this pie is that you can throw anything you like in it: peas, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, courgettes etc. You could also use steak or pork mince instead of turkey, or butternut squash or cauliflower instead of sweet potato (I've used both, & both are delicious!). I generally use whatever I have in the house, although turkey with carrots & spinach with a sweet potato mash topping has got to be my favourite. This pie is sweet & savoury, filling & definitely welcome on a chilly day.
500g turkey thigh or breast mince (note: breast mince will be slightly drier)
1&1/2 gluten free chicken stock cube
3 tbsp tomato purée
3 chopped carrots
4 cubes frozen spinach/150g fresh spinach
1 yellow or orange pepper
1 white or red onion
3 cloves of garlic
3 medium sweet potatoes
Things to bear in mind before beginning:
You will need a casserole dish or a baking dish that is grill friendly.
1. Peel & chop up your sweet potatoes & steam them until soft then set aside.
2. Whilst the sweet potato is steaming, dice the onion, garlic & pepper finely & set aside.
3. Boil the kettle & place a chicken stock cube & tomato purée in a cup.
4. When the kettle has boiled add 3 tbsp of boiling water to the cup & mix until the chicken stock has dissolved.
5. Heat the saucepan & add some ghee/coconut oil/desired oil to the pan.
6. When the pan is hot enough, add the onion, garlic & pepper & fry until softened.
7. Add the turkey mince to the saucepan, season with salt, pepper & your preferred herbs & begin to brown the mince.
8. Pour the chicken stock & tomato purée mixture on to the mince.
9. Add the chopped carrots & spinach & stir until everything is evenly distributed.
10. Turn the the stove to a low heat, cover the saucepan & allow to further cook for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so to check the spinach & turkey is cooking through.
11. Mash the steamed sweet potato to a smooth consistency.
12. Transfer the pie filling to the casserole dish.
13. Dollop sweet potato mash on top & flatten it with a spoon or spatula.
14. Sprinkle paprika on top of the sweet potato mash.
15. Transfer the pie to the grill for about 20 minutes (this makes the top crispy & cooks it a little longer too)
16. Allow to cool & devour.
Enjoy munkeys! :)