Overnight oaaaats.. what can I say? Well,
1. I'm SUPER excited to be incorporating oats (gluten free!) back in to my belly after a very long break. SO far, it's going well - I'm not feeling lethargic or sleepy - awesome!
2. This recipe is great for those busy in the morning as you make it the night before - delicious oaty goodness ready, waiting for you in the fridge.
3. What an awesome way of using a jar & a productive few minutes before bed.
4. There are sooo many combinations it's unreeeal.
5. They are DELICIOUS FULL STOP.
This recipe is vegan friendly, dairy free, refined sugar free, wheat free & gluten free.
1/2 cup gluten free oats (or regular oats)
3/4 cup Koko milk alternative (or milk or any other milk alternative)
1/4 cup boiling water
1 chai tea bag
2 tbsp apple sauce
1/2 a medium sized apple grated
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
A few notes about this recipe:
You'll need a jar (this just makes it more fun, but any container would do I'm sure). If you do not like chai tea, you could omit the tea bag & use 1 cup of milk alternative instead. To make these 'protein overnight oats', just add 1 scoop of whey - here's a recipe for Chocolate nut protein overnight oats. Another thing, if you don't have applesauce, make it yourself! I did! Just peel an apple & chop it up, steam it until soft, & mash to make a purée. One medium sized apple makes roughly 4 tablespoons of applesauce. & LASTLY, chia seeds are ESSENTIAL in this recipe, if you don't have any it won't work nearly half as well.. so go & buy some! Hehee. Hope that helps!
1. Pour the boiling water in to a cup over the chai tea bag & allow to brew for 3-5 minutes.
2. When the tea is brewed take the chai tea bag & put it in the cup of Koko milk.
3. Pour the oats, chia seeds, applesauce, grated apple & cinnamon in to the jar & stir to combine.
4. Take the chai tea bag out of the Koko milk & dispose of the tea bag.
5. Pour the Koko milk, chai tea & vanilla essence in to the jar & stir.
6. Transfer the jar to the fridge & leave overnight.
7. In the morning give it a stir & add any toppings you'd like!
Enjoy munkies! :)